Leaving the State

You may travel anywhere you wish within the state of Michigan while on probation. If you would like to leave the state, however, you will need to request permission from your probation officer at least one week prior to the date you wish to leave. You will need to provide him/her with the dates and location(s) of your trip, plus your accommodations and an address and phone number where you may be reached. You must also notify your probation officer when you return to Michigan.

Your probation officer has the authority to deny permission to leave the state. This is likely to occur if you are in the process of completing counseling, community service work, fulfilling other court requirements, have outstanding fines, costs, or fees, or have been performing poorly during your term of probation.